When most travellers think of a trip to Africa, they think wildlife or safaris and rightly so as the continent is home to the big five (lion, leopard, buffalo, elephant and rhino). The majority of wildlife can be seen at national parks and game reserves in countries like Malawi, Ghana, Kenya and Namibia to name a few. There are many places you can see wildlife, even on the streets of cities or villages like camels and horses in Marrakech or snakes and lizards in Kailahun respectively. Below we recommend five must see wildlife attractions around the continent.
- A Kenyan safari is probably at the top of every travellers bucket list. You can feed the giraffes from your window at Giraffe Manor Hotel or watch beautiful flamingos, black and white rhinos, baboons and hippos along Lake Nakuru in Kenya.
- The Namibian desert will leave you breathless. Its colours and landscapes are truly remarkable. “A desert safari in Namibia offers a unique wildlife experience. I love the contrast of landscapes and animals. Unlike your typical safari, you get to see desert animals.” @AFKTravel
- The Serengeti National Park in Tanzania is renowned for its great migration of over a million wildebeest, 200,000 zebras and smaller numbers of lions, leopards, hyenas and crocodiles. You can also view the migration via the Mara River crossing in Kenya.
- The Gola Rainforest in Sierra Leone is home to a large species of exotic birds, mammals such as the pygmy hippos, reptiles and freshwater fish. It is the largest forest in Sierra Leone and can be entered through Liberia also.
- Want to see gorillas? Visit the Odzala-Kokoua National Park, the world’s second largest rainforest in the northern area of the Republic of Congo. This is one of the best places to see gorillas and chimpanzees. Book your stay at the Ngaga Camp and get taken on a guided tour.
Where has been your favourite place to see wildlife in Africa? Let us know in the comment box below.